In the next five years, orthodontists can expect multiple changes in the orthodontics industry. First, you can expect your practice to benefit from “greater acceptance of industry services and increased disposable income levels.” And second, since “the industry will contend with orthodontists rapidly retiring over the next five years,” you can also expect an increase in patient demand due to a decreasing number of available practitioners.
You can deduce what this means for you and your practice—more patients need to come through your door and out of your chair quickly so you can keep up with increasing demand and heightened expectations of quick treatment and convenient service. Fortunately, this also means there is a lot of potential for revenue growth that could be yours.
For your practice to realize higher profits with less effort than ever before, you’ll need indirect bonding in orthodontics and DIBS AI. This platform makes it possible to keep patients out of your chair with fewer appointments and less overall treatment time. To prove it, OrthoSelect wants to give you all the information and data you need to know about DIBS AI.
In this paper, we’ll examine:
- The 4 Biggest Bracket Placement Pain Points
- How DIBS AI Resolves Bracket Placement Pain Points
- 2 Reasons Indirect Bonding in Orthodontics Isn’t Always Adopted
- How to Calculating The ROI of DIBS AI Data
- How to Schedule a Free Demo of DIBS AI
The 3 Biggest Bracket Placement Pain Points
Traditional bracket placement on teeth requires too much hands-on-time.. Between the initial time it takes to place brackets by hand (up to 1 ½ hours of doctor time) and the inevitable repo appointments required to make adjustments, you’re looking at a lot of potential profit being left in the chair rather than in your pocket.
You’ve likely experienced each of the following bracket placement pain points that have left you wondering if there’s a better, more affordable indirect bonding technique. Fortunately, there is, and we’ll talk about that in the next section.
1. Complexity in Accuracy
Determining exactly where each bracket should be placed is one part science, one part experience, and one part art. The truth is, placing brackets correctly via the Andrews Guidelines is a bit of a guessing game with every patient.
Between determining the optimal mid-transverse plane of every crown in an arch according to a consistent angular relationship with the occlusal plane, and accounting for occlusal and gingival interference (among many other determinants), it can take weeks to know if brackets were bonded in the correct position. And still, repeat adjustments via wire rebending and bracket rebonding are usually needed to achieve optimal results.
2. Wasted Time and Lost Profits
While braces are a fixed cost for patients, the cost isn’t fixed for orthodontists. Each time a patient sits in the chair, the clock is running and your profit is diminishing. With traditional bracket placement, hours are wasted on the initial bonding appointment and every follow-up appointment thereafter.
Additionally, traditional bonding doesn’t allow for an immediate start. If your patient leaves your office after their initial consultation without getting started on the process first, you run the risk of never seeing them again—resulting in a waste of your expensive time.
3. Dissatisfied Patients and Low Referrals
If there’s anything patients want most, it’s a quick fix. Traditional bonding and the resulting adjustment appointments mean more visits and a longer treatment time—neither of which make patients excited to commit or leave them feeling like they should recommend you to their friends and acquaintances.
How DIBS AI Resolves Bracket Placement Pain Points
Neither orthodontists nor patients want to deal with the pain points of bracket placement on teeth, which is why the DIBS AI software platform and 3D printing service were developed to resolve them.
We’ll quickly run through the many ways our IDB technology works for the benefit of you and all your patients:
- Patent-pending artificial intelligence technology runs each case through a staggering 32 advanced algorithms to achieve highly consistent and accurate bracket placement. How accurate? At a rate of 97.3% within 0.5 mm, with an overall mean deviation of 0.121 mm. No repos needed.
- Automated software cuts the doctor case approval time from … down to 5-7 minutes and minimizes staffing requirements.
- A 24-hour turnaround after doctor approval for our lab-printed custom trays and insert brackets means patients can start treatment almost immediately.
- Workflow options let you choose whether to utilize our full-service lab or to print your patient’s custom trays in-house for a same-day start.
- Our provisional patented custom bracket box keeps brackets seated, not slipping, to reduce “technique sensitivity” and make bonding easier and more accurate than any other IDB product or method.
- The high-quality resin used for the 3D printed transfer trays with no glue on the brace pads gives cleaner prints, less cleanup after application, and more comfort for patients.
- A delegation of bonding and rebonding appointments to techs equals less on-hand doctor time and lower overhead.
- Chairs remain available for additional patients with the time doctors and staff save, allowing you to meet increasing demand and bring in more revenue.
- The customer-friendly features mentioned above get patients started and finished quicker and keep them out of the chair with fewer-to-no adjustment appointments needed. This makes them very satisfied and likely to recommend your practice to others.
2 Reasons Indirect Bonding in Orthodontics Isn’t Always Adopted
To get away from traditional bracket placement methods, orthodontists are turning to indirect bonding of braces. However, many of the other tools on the market are low-quality products that use outdated technology and poorly printed transfer trays. Experience with these other products has convinced doctors that IDB isn’t worth adopting.
In reality, DIBS AI is everything other brands are not—accurate, efficient, affordable, and effective.
Here are the two leading reasons why other IDBs have failed and how DIBS AI outclasses them all.
1. Digital Case Setup Challenges
In the past, patients’ initial case setups were a manual, inefficient process that took complicated training and too much time to get right, which doctors found “laborious.”
How DIBS AI Is Different
To gain an orthodontist’s perspective on how DIBS AI has simplified and expedited case setups, we asked two practitioners to share their experiences. Here’s what they had to say.
Dr. Laura Bonner of Bonner Orthodontics in Rogers, Arkansas: “After I learned the ropes, DIBS AI software became intuitive, with individual display settings for moving brackets and customizable to how I like “seeing” bracket placement.” When asked about how long it takes her to complete each case, she said, “OrthoSelect does the initial setup for me; I then adjust and approve. About five minutes total for me.”
Dr. David Caggiano of Caggiano Orthodontics in Parsippany, New Jersey: “My lab technician spends about seven minutes in the software for preliminary bracket placement. It takes me just a few minutes for final setup, then two minutes to have the computer generate the trays.”
2. Clinical Challenges with Trays and Brackets
Another common complaint of IDB products is that the tray isn’t very reliable, and brackets slip out of place during bonding, causing frustration and costing time.
How DIBS AI Is Different
For answers about how DIBS AI software, lab services, and in-office 3D printing work much better than both traditional bonding methods and less-superior IDB software, let’s again turn to our orthodontists for their clinical experiences.
Dr. Bonner: “The simulated outcome is a powerful diagnostic tool and is accurate to what I achieve clinically. Trays are very consistently excellent quality. They hold our brackets in place perfectly—not too tight, not too loose! It’s easy to determine that the tray is seated properly on the teeth during bonding.”
Dr. Caggiano: “Virtually no learning curve—placing the braces on with IDB is much easier clinically than direct bonding. I am at the chair for three minutes so, obviously less doctor time. But there is also less mental energy required. Additionally, there are fewer bond failures because the trays are precise and light-cured immediately.”
Calculating Your ROI Using DIBS AI Data
At this point, you may be convinced of the idea of DIBS AI for indirect bonding, but you need hard data to calculate your ROI and make an informed decision—and we’ve got it for you.
Let’s run through every fact and detail that proves DIBS AI will not only save you money but earn you more of it by allowing you to see more patients during your day.
Quantifiable DIBS AI Data:
- DIBS AI Onboarding Fee: A one-time $995 (reduced or free onboarding available with arch approval fulfillment)
- In-House Turnaround Time After Dr. Approval: 24 hours for printing, cleaning, curing, and inserting brackets
- Cost of In-House Printing: From $7-10k for printers and $400 for high-quality resin
- Full Lab Service Turnaround Time After Dr. Approval: 48 hours (24 hours setup + 24 printing) and 3-day shipping
- Full Lab Service Per Arch Fee: $165 per case (Complimentary Bracket Insertion)
- Case Setup Time: Less than 10 minutes
- Case Approval Time: Between 5-7 minutes
- Bonding Time: 30 minutes (at least 50% less time than traditional bonding)
- Bracket Placement Accuracy = A rate of 97.3% of brackets are placed within 0.5 mm, with an overall mean deviation of 0.121 mm
When determining your ROI for DIBS AI for your individual orthodontic practice, you’ll notice significant reductions in:
- Chair time: Down from an average of 1-1.5 hours to 30 minutes
- Hands-on doctor time: Bracket placement can be completed by a technician, significantly reducing Dr. time with the patient.
- Number of follow-up appointments: Reduced significantly due to high bracket placement accuracy.
- Overall treatment times: Also reduced significantly due to high bracket placement accuracy.
An orthodontist’s practice charges a flat fee (~$5,500 per patient) no matter how long it takes to apply braces, regardless of appointment time, appointment frequency, and total length of treatment. Think of the profits that can be gained with DIBS AI compared to traditional bracket placement or other methods of inferior indirect bonding for orthodontics.
The time savings and revenue gained are enough to convince any orthodontist that their ROI is not only worth it but necessary to compete in this demanding industry.
How to Schedule a Free Demo of DIBS AI
For a free demo of DIBS AI indirect bonding for orthodontics, schedule an appointment with Ryan with OrthoSelect. He’ll quickly cover everything you need to know, show you how it all works, and help you through the onboarding process if you decide now is the time to decrease your workload while increasing your revenue.
Send me info how to subscribe. Thanks
It will be great to have you join us! The link to sign up is: myorthoselect.com/registration